Slider

Recent Tube

Local

International

Life & style

Entertainment

Events

Fashion

» » » » I make No Apologies; IyataBless






By Tawanda Ngena
In a largely conservative society like Zimbabwe, sex is still pretty much a taboo......and as such, sex talk (much like anything and everything associated with sex) remains mostly a 'behind closed doors' and 'after dark' matter.
It would therefore take quite a lot of guts from a musician and a woman at that to come up with an adult themed album and add to that, a sexually-charged title like 'Curiously Aroused', but that is reggae/jazz artist, IyataBless for you and she makes no apologies!

"My themes were sexual and inclined more towards a mature audience, I explored different kinds of relationships and there is a deeply 'religious' song somewhat as well. Weird combination l know but it's exactly as I have stated.
"I am very much in love with my fiancée whom I have been with for a good year now. He inspired most of the album", said IyataBless.

'Curiously Aroused' was released in August and the album had quite the lineup of producers, some of whom make up the 'who's who' of local music production behind it, from the likes of Iton Music, Raw music, Amaze Studios, Abra Simms and Jusa Demento to Laprosy Studios.
The 8 track album carries such tracks as 'Medication', 'Tight', 'Do It', 'She Lied, 'Hypocrites', 'Yo Song', 'Mvura Inonaya' and the title track itself, 'Curiously Aroused'.

"All the songs are my favorites, including the first single titled 'Yo Song', which talks about a man leaving for another country and leaving his lover to think it's over but then coming back to sweep her off her feet. 'Medication', which I am also fond of, talks about how much I simply love sex. When its executed the proper way that is. Especially when you are in a mutually loving relationship.
"The title track (Curiously Aroused) talks about being in a loving relationship where even if there are problems, the partners talk it out. More importantly it is about how you never know what to expect or what your partner is going to do to please you. Like any woman out there, I am just showing how much I love and appreciate that spontaneity in a man", she said.

One song though, does deviate from the rest and that is the track 'Hypocrites'. It might even seem 'out of place' but that is hardly the case, IyataBless explains;
"The track 'Hypocrites' takes a different route altogether but that is not to say that it is misplaced because my album also made room for me to tackle other themes/topics that were not of a sexual nature too. It's a dedication to my God, appreciating what he has done and continues doing for me. Thanking him for his love and praising him through song. It is naturally also a dedication to the 'hypocrites' themselves, many as they are out there. I am just letting them know that l know what they are up to and that I'm not 'shook' because Jah is by my side", said the dreadlocked singer.


The twenty-something year old songstress said that she had already done a video for the third track on her CD, 'Do It' and that she was currently working on the visuals to 'Yo Song', which she said would be out in December. If the titles to the songs and the themes are anything to go by then the fans can expect some 'steamy' visuals.
As to how the response to her music has been, Iyata said that it had not been anything short of awesome!

"The response has been awesome l must say. From my people in Zimbabwe and other countries. I give thanks to the Almighty for the reception my music is getting. To everyone who has believed in me and supported me from day one, l say Thank you!
I love you all and God bless!", she said.

But just who is IyataBless, we are sure a lot of people are 'curious' to find out.

"Iyatabless came from 2 names. My first name being Blessing and Iyata being the second name that I got from Trevor Hall or Ras Jabu (as some of you may know him) who is my God Father. Thus came Iyatabless.
"I am an active lady. Love learning new things, love traveling, spontaneous, giving, lovin and VERY good with kids. I am into all musical instruments, appreciate all of God's creations, the sun, moon, stars, ocean, sea and all green l see. Get hurt easily (I'm human too), hardworking, a jealous lover and I will forever be loving Jah", she said.

The reggae/jazz musician who counts the likes of Ray Charles, Tina Turner, Anita Baker, Earth Wind and Fire, James Chimombe, Steve Makoni, Bob Marley, Mutabaruka and Jill Scott among her major musical influences said that for as long as she could remember, music had always been a part of her.
"Honestly I can't remember specifically when l started singing because since birth l don't remember not singing at any one point.
"The First album that l featured on was called AMAI MURINGIROZI ( mother you are an Angel). I was the female voice for the mbira group called Future Troublers. Recorded at Monolio Studios by the great Mono Mukundu", said Iyata.

Besides the singing, IyataBless said that she had tried her hand at acting and radio deejaying as well. Some might remember seeing her on the small silver screen a few years back.
"Besides music I was the also the first female presenter on ZBC TV to host for a whole year, a largely popular reggae music show called Rockers Vibes, which my god-father, Trevor Hall pioneered", said IyataBless.

«
Next
Newer Post
»
Previous
Older Post

No comments: